The annual scholarship programme for foreign citizens offered by Romania, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, based on Government Decision no. 288/1993 for the 2023-2024 academic year is now launched!
Who can apply?
Foreign citizens from all non-EU countries, with the following exceptions:
- citizens of Romanian origin or who are part of the Romanian historical communities in the proximity of Romania (entitled to different scholarship programmes);
- citizens who have requested or acquired a form of protection in Romania;
- stateless persons whose stay on the territory of Romania is officially recognized according to the law;
- members of the diplomatic and consular corps or family members of the diplomatic and consular corps accredited to Romania;
- members of the administrative and technical staff of diplomatic missions and consular offices accredited to Romania;
- staff members of international organizations based in Romania or family members of staff of international organizations based in Romania;
- beneficiaries of a scholarship from the Romanian state for the same cycle of study.
What level of study does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship applicant can choose from any of the following three study cycles in accredited higher education institutions in Romania:
- bachelor’s degree: addressed to graduates of high school studies or pre-university studies at the end of which they obtained a baccalaureate degree or equivalent, as well as candidates applying for further university studies in Romania. The complete programme runs for a period of 3-6 years, depending on the specialization followed and ends with a bachelor's exam;
- master’s degree: addressed to undergraduates, run for a period of 1 year, 1.5 years or 2 years and end with the dissertation exam;
- PhD: addressed to graduate students or equivalent and run for a period of 3-5 years, depending on the profile of the chosen faculty and end with the presentation of a PhD thesis. In order to be admitted to doctoral studies and to obtain the scholarship, it is compulsory that, prior to submitting the application, the candidate should get the written agreement of the Doctoral Tutor, which must be a member of the doctoral school, and also that he/she passes the admission interview
- Applicants may select their study program of interest in all fields, with the exception of Medicine, Dental Medicine and Pharmacy.
- For Bachelor and Master, only study programs in Romanian are available, thus promoting the Romanian language and culture. However, at PhD level, applicants can also opt for a program in English or a foreign language set by the doctoral school.
- Deadline for submitting your application: 1 March 2023
- Announcing the selection results: 15 July 2023
The application process takes place exclusively online, via the dedicated Scholarships platform!
Apply now and come study in Romania! Good luck!